Software center provides you with a means to install officially authorized software on UL Lafayette owned computers without the approval of a Network Administrator. Be aware that there will be minor cosmetic and title differences in different versions of Windows.
To access software center:
- Click on the "Windows" or "Start" button
- Type "Software Center" in the "Search programs and files" or "Type here to Search" box.
- Click on "Software Center" in the returned results
This will run Software Center. In Software Center, you'll see several different options, here is more information about what each tab is.
- This tab shows the application options that are available to install. Click on a program to learn more and to install it.
- This tab shows if there are any updates available for any of your currently installed programs.
- There should be no options available on this tab unless pushed by the Windows System Administrator.
- This tab shows what programs are installed and information tied to that installation. If there is a problem installing a program, it will appear on this list.
- This tab checks to see if the device is compliant to the Win Domain. If you are able to log into the Win Domain, you are in compliance. You will not need to do anything on this tab.
- This tab shows options that are set by the IT department in order to offer the greatest amount of support to the greatest amount of users. Please do not change any of these settings without the consent on your Network Manager.
Once you select a software to be installed, select the icon, then press the install button. The install process will take some time, depending on the current speed of the network, the size of the program, and the speed of the installing computer. There will be no progress bar, like a typical install. After some time, the installation will complete and the program will be ready for use.